Sunday, June 29, 2014

Review: Lime Crime Velvetines

I once saw a Youtube ad for Close Up starring Bianca Gonzalez where she teaches the audience how to apply red lipstick. She explained that her lipstick had blue undertones to match her complexion and true enough, it looked amazing on her. That commercial haunted me for months as I searched for that particular shade but to no avail, until one random day, I was browsing through Make Up Pro’s Instagram account (@mupstore) and found Lime Crime Velvetines in Red Velvet.  

Velvetines are matte lipsticks. They come in liquid form but dry matte upon application.

At that moment I knew my search was over and I set out to buy it immediately.  

I was so ecstatic to try the product on when I got home and the moment I did, I fell in love with it instantly. The red was the perfect shade. The colour was rich, dark, and suitable for my skin tone (I have a pretty yellow undertone). 

The product dries up quickly so you get to see the results instantaneously. For those who are not used to applying lipstick, this product may be more difficult to use as it leaves little room for error. But, because it dries so fast, you won't have to worry about it sliding off if you accidentally touch it. 

Lime Crime Velvetines in Red Velvet

I mainly use the product for shoots and events and the outcome is always beautiful. The red is strikingly romantic and mysterious. 

NOT MADE FOR EVERYDAY WEAR 

There was an instance when I decided to use it on myself for a normal day at work and I found that it made my lips very dry. It was uncomfortable to wear. In addition to that, patches would come off after drinking or eating that made it look unattractive. There was always a need to reapply the product but doing so only made the lips drier. 

I’d recommend this product for shoots or occasions that don’t take up the entire day. Otherwise, you would probably need to set a coat of gloss on top for moistures sake. Don’t worry, it still looks great under gloss! It also looks great when done in an ombre fashion. 

One of the shoots I've done using Pink Velvet under clear gloss

I bought Pink Velvet shortly afterwards and I also love the colour, it’s intensity is quite striking but in a good way. It came with the same sort of container but with rose designs on the cap. 


Application was also very easy to use and it dries just as quick.

Lime Crime Velvetines in Pink Velvet

PACKAGING 

Lime Crime has always had the cutest packaging. Their lipsticks come in purple cases with a unicorn adorned on it. Velvetines also have the trademark unicorn design on their caps. Highly girly and it’s always fun to look at when I open my makeup case. 

Top View
Red Velvet
Pink Velvet

Pros
  • Fantastic, rich colour when applied
  • Very pigmented, what you see is what you get
  • Perfect for shoots and events
  • Beautiful packaging 

Cons
  • Not advisable for daily wear as it can dry your lips 
  • Dries very fast so there’s little room for error but I usually have no problems with that.
  • May take more time to remove with makeup remover

NEW COLLECTION

Lime Crime also came out with a new collection of Velvetines called The Clueless Witch. The colours have a more gothic feel as opposed to the classic reds of the original ones. 


These are available in Make Up Pro https://www.facebook.com/mupstore?ref=ts&fref=ts. Branches are in Makati City and Quezon City. They also ship worldwide.

Makati Branch Address
Laureano Di Trevi Tower 1 Estacion Street Makati City
Open Mondays to Fridays, 1-6PM 
+63920 951 3960

Until next time!

Besos, 

Bambi xx

Makeup used on myself
  • Yves Rocher Second Skin Effect Foundation in Clair 100
  • Faceshop FACE it Oil Cut Pore Concealer Dual Veil in NB21
  • Inglot Body Pigment Powder 180 as highlighter and eyeshadow
  • Beauty People eyeliner in Glimmer Beige
  • Lime Crime Red Velvet and Pink Velvet on lips
  • Blush from MDA blush palette
  • Makeup Forever HD Powder

2nd Model: Stephanie Braganza 

No comments:

Post a Comment